Water heaters can consume a great deal of energy which can increase household costs. However, there are some steps that can be taken to lower the amount of energy consumed by water heaters.
The five ways to reduce water heater energy consumption are as follows:
1. Purchase the Most Efficient Water Heater within your Budget: All water heaters are not created equal. In order to conserve energy it is important to purchase a heater that is designed to do just that. There are many different options that are now on the market that are designed to only heat small amounts of water.
2. Turn Down the Thermostat: The higher your thermostat is set, the more energy is consumed. Turning down the water heater thermostat by 10 degrees can reduce your energy by 3% to 5%. Factory settings on thermostats are usually 14 degrees. However the Energy Departments confirms that 120 degrees is a safe temperature for household needs such as bathing and washing dishes. This temperature is also sufficient enough for reducing mineral buildup.
3. Fix Leaks: Leaks can greatly increase the energy consumption of a hot water heater. Fixing leaks will greatly improve efficiency thereby reducing consumption.Fixing a leak may entail something as simple as installing a new washer. Simple fixes such as this can conserve a great deal of energy and save you money.
4. Install Low Flow Fixtures: Fixtures such as faucets and shower-heads can use a great deal of water if they are high flow. For shower-heads the ideal flow rate should be 2.5 gallons per minute (gpm). Faucet aerators can be as low as 1.0 gpm for maximum efficiency. Low flow fixtures are available at most home improvement stores.
5. Purchase Energy Efficient Appliances: Energy efficient washing machines and dishwashers can greatly reduce the amount of hot water that a household needs. There are a plethora of energy efficient appliances that are also budget friendly. Appliances that carry the ENERGY STAR label are often the most efficient.
These five energy saving tips are simple to implement and can save a household a great deal of money over the course of a year. Implementing these money saving tips will conserve energy in a way that is beneficial to you as a property owner, while also being beneficial to the environment.
Looking for water heater services in the Westfield area? Call (317) 420-4006 today for quick and effective services from L.E. Isley & Sons, Inc. professionals.